- Open to students in grades 9-12, who are enrolled in a public, private, or parochial high school or home study program in the United States, its territories and possessions; or in an overseas U.S. military civilian dependent school. Foreign exchange students age 20 or over and previous Voice of Democracy first place state winners are ineligible.
How to enter:
- Record your original 3-5 minute essay on a standard cassette tape or CD. Preferred format for CD’s is the audio CD format. When burning your CD make sure the “Create Audio CD” option (or similar) is selected so the program can properly convert your sound file and burn it to a CD. Label the recording, neatly typed essay and attach the completed Voice of Democracy 2014 Entry Form.
- Give your completed CD, essay, and entry form to Mrs. DeVicq before Nov. 1st, 2013. She will contact the local VFW post to come pick up your application materials.
Need some help getting started?
- Listen to the essays of the 2012-2013 award winners from each state at this website: http://heroes.vfw.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=8307
- Haley DeAndrea (from Oregon) placed 2nd in the competition and won $16,000 last year!