Who: The Al Forthan Memorial Scholarship is awarded to an Oregon high school senior from a family affected by alcohol or drug addiction. Affected by addiction means you have been raised by a parent or guardian who has experienced addiction or you have abused alcohol or drugs and are now pursuing recovery.
What: One $10,000 scholarship will be awarded in 2014. It will be allocated in $2,500 installments over four years.
- To be eligible for the $10,000 scholarship you will need to include in your application a one page (maximum) letter of support from a teacher, coach, school counselor, adult mentor, pastor, etc. describing your character and why they would recommend you for this scholarship.
- Several other scholarships of various amounts will be awarded in 2014. To be eligible for the scholarships less than $10,000 you do not need a letter of support.
How to apply: Scholarship awards will be based on the students’ response to each of the following six questions or statements:
(1) It is a fact that alcohol and drugs are widely used by teenagers. Describe some of the solutions to this problem within your school community. (1.5 pages)
(2) In terms of the United States, reflect on class and race differences in relationship to alcohol and drug addiction. (1 page)
(3a) List the specific types of volunteer/service work you have been involved in and the exact number of hours served. Also, list specific high school activities e.g. sports, drama, music, etc. you have been involved in and the number of years involved.
(3b) Describe how the volunteer/service work you performed has impacted you, what has been most meaningful to you and how the work has shaped your future. (1 page)
(4) Please describe any income barriers you face to your higher education. (0.5 page)
(5) Describe how alcohol and drug addiction in your family has affected you personally. How did you cope? (1.5 Page)
(6) To be eligible for the $10,000 scholarship you will need to include in your application a one page (maximum) letter of support from a teacher, coach, school counselor, adult mentor, pastor, etc. describing your character and why they would recommend you for this scholarship.
When: Essays will be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, and are due by February 10th, 2014. Please include your address, phone number, e-mail and what school you attend so we can contact you. Please type out each question, followed by your response. All essays should be typed and double spaced. For questions about the scholarships contact Kristin Yates at 503-802-0299 or at email@example.com.